The Financial Aid Process
How do you go about funding your education?
The financial aid process can be broken down into the following five easy steps:
1. Obtain Your PIN. Students wishing to apply for federal student aid at The University of Notre Dame are first advised to obtain their U.S. Department of Education PIN at pin.ed.gov. The PIN serves as an electronic signature for federal financial aid and provides access to federal financial aid records.
2. Complete the FAFSA. Once a PIN is obtained, complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or the Renewal FAFSA. Notre Dame’s Federal School Code is 001840.
3. Submit Your Income Tax Return. In addition to the FAFSA, students must be prepared to submit a signed copy of their previous year’s federal income tax return directly to the University’s Office of Financial Aid.
4. Receive an Award Letter. For those students who apply for financial assistance, the Office of Financial Aid will provide a Financial Aid Award Letter outlining the student’s eligibility for financial assistance.
5. Notify Us. Students must notify the Office of Financial Aid of the receipt of any financial assistance beyond that outlined on the Award Letter.
If you have any questions regarding any of these steps, or need to secure additional financial aid funding, feel free to contact the Office of Financial Aid, or call to discuss at (574) 631-6436.