To Begin Your Application
Required ESTEEM Application Essay Questions:
- Describe a laboratory or design project on which you worked as an undergraduate student. Be sure to include the most rewarding and most challenging aspects of the project.
- Notre Dame is in the heart of the Midwest. Once the center of manufacturing, the Midwest is now trying to redefine itself in high-technology sectors as manufacturing is being outsourced overseas to lower labor markets. If you were a science, engineering and innovation consultant to a governor of a large Midwestern state, how would you advise him/her on ways to revitalize the economy based on science and engineering innovations?
- Optional essay question: One of the most unique and distinguishing facets of the ESTEEM Program is the capstone thesis project you will complete as a graduate student. Here you get to truly keep "your hands dirty" in helping to develop....and possibly launch......a new product, service and/or technology whose origin is typically from the Colleges of Engineering and Science here at Notre Dame. But in your case.....maybe not. Perhaps it is your idea; your creative energy; your dream that has the potential to change the world.....and you want the best place; the best environment from which to further study and prepare your idea to go to market....and then see it actually launch. You would love to spend the next year working with a faculty member and a commercial business advisor to help you determine how best to create and then scale a real business opportunity that perhaps only you can see right now. We think that with the right idea and the right resources we can help you move your idea further faster......and we are prepared to tailor the capstone thesis around you and your idea providing it meets certain standards and rigor. So tell us about it....in as much detail as you can. The intellectual property around your idea.....if there is any potential for you to actually patent or trademark or copyright any of it.....will remain yours (and not the University's) and you will have the benefit of finding out if, following your one year immersion in to the ESTEEM Program, you can move from cap and gown at graduation to full-time founder and entrepreneur. 170 years ago, our founder here at Notre Dame, Father Edward Sorin, a 28 year-old Holy Cross priest, believed that he could create, from the barren plains of Northern Indiana, a university that would serve as a "powerful force for good in the world." So when you are telling us about your idea.....tell us also how it will help to further advance this mission of the University of Notre Dame as first envisioned by Father Sorin. We would love for your success to be our success.....and together, we become that change we want to see in the world.
Note: The essays should be no longer than 1-2 pages in length
English-speaking applicant requirements:
- A Bachelor of Science (B.S.) degree in engineering, math, or science (or its equivalent) from an accredited American university or foreign institution of acceptable standing by the time of graduate matriculation, or admission is void
- B-average (3.0 or higher) in undergraduate coursework, and courses should meet a level of academic achievement that implies a developed ability for advanced study and independent scholarship
- Statement of purpose
- Response to both ESTEEM essay questions, listed above
- Unofficial transcripts of grades from all prior degrees (and all institutions)
- Three letters of recommendation
- Official Graduate Record Examination (GRE) General Test scores. Official GMAT, MCAT, or DAT exam test scores are also acceptable.
- Copy of your curriculum vitae/résumé
- Non-refundable application fee
- The application process is entirely electronic and you will need to upload the required documents yourself
Additional items required from Non-English-speaking applicants:
Requirements for Non-native English Speakers: Computer TOEFL minimum is 250, Internet TOEFL minimum 80 and 23 minimum on the speaking, or 7.0 minimum on the IELTS
All non-native English speaking applicants are required to submit TOEFL scores even if they are attending an English speaking undergraduate institution. We will not waive this requirement.
- TOEFL scores
- TSE scores are preferred, but not required